Course Substitutions and Waivers of Degree Requirements

Requests for substitutions or waivers of degree requirements must be initiated by the Academic Advisor(s), supported by the Department Chair, and approved by the Division Chair who serves as a liaison to the Academic Program Council (APC). These requests should be made by the term prior to the graduation term, or as early as possible.

The process to request a change in curriculum begins when the Academic Advisor completes the form available on the Registrar's webpage.  

For established majors or minors in the Catalog, the request is forwarded to the Department Chair. (The Associate Provost serves as Chair for GST courses, General Education requirements, and Independent Majors.) If the Department Chair agrees to and supports the request for substitution or waiver, the chair person will indicate support in an e-mail to the Division Chair that includes the Advisor(s) request and rationale and any additional information to support the request. If the Department Chair wishes to request that the course substitution is to be a blanket substitution for all students within the major, this should be indicated as such in the e-mail of support. For Independent Majors, the primary and secondary advisors (both indicating agreement for the request) forward the request directly to the Associate Provost.

The Division Chairs either will approve the request for substitution or waiver or will take the request to the Academic Program Council for its review and determination. The student, Academic Advisor, and Department Chair will be notified by e-mail of the outcome.