Disability Services

The Director of Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS) is available to assist students with disabilities in navigating barriers they are facing or anticipating that are impeding their full participation in the academic, labor, and social programs of Berea College. The Director acts as a liaison with other College departments and offices in arranging responses appropriate to the student’s particular situation. Some of the services available to qualifying students with disabilities include: communication with faculty, advisor, or labor supervisor regarding student needs; accessible classroom and housing; determination of appropriate accommodations; academic accommodations or auxiliary aids; extended testing time; assistance with obtaining textbooks in alternate format; and information and referral for additional services. A student must contact the DAS Director and provide appropriate documentation in order to receive services. For an appointment call ext. 3237.

The DAS Director works closely with the Section 504/ADA Coordinator to assure compliance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1992. Also, the Section 504/ADA Coordinator receives complaints related to possible discrimination based on physical access needs. The Title IX Officer serves as the Section 504/ADA Coordinator.

Disability and Accessibility Services (DAS) Grievance Policy and Procedures

Disability & Accessibility Services (DAS) is committed to promoting equal access to all programs, services, and activities at Berea College. Students who are concerned that they have been denied equal access as described in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 or the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) are encouraged to follow the procedures outlined below. Please see the U.S. Department of Education website for more information about Auxiliary Aids and Services for Postsecondary Students with Disabilities.

Students have two ways to express their concerns: an informal resolution procedure available through the DAS Director and a more formal grievance procedure through the ADA Compliance Officer. Although students are encouraged to solve disputes at the lowest possible level and to use internal procedures to the fullest extent, a student may choose to initiate a formal grievance at any time.

The U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR), encourages individuals first to use internal grievance procedures, and when such procedures meet OCR's investigative standards, OCR will generally defer to the results reached if the process provided for fair consideration of the grievance (http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/prevention.html).

Informal Resolution Procedure

Clear communication between students, faculty/staff, and DAS is vital to utilizing DAS services effectively. Where possible, students are encouraged to first address concerns and problems with the individuals most directly involved in the situation: the DAS Director regarding eligibility for accommodations and specific accommodations; the individual faculty or staff member in the cases of implementation or lack of approved accommodations.

Students are encouraged to express any concerns with the Senior Specialist, Disability & Accessibility Services, Holly Hatfield (859-985-4739, 111 Lincoln Hall, hatfieldh2@berea.edu). If for a specific reason the grievance cannot be discussed with the Senior Specialist, or if the complaint is about the Senior Specialist, contact DAS supervisor, Dwayne Mack (859-985-3369, 301 Lincoln Hall, mackd@berea.edu).

Students who are experiencing difficulty in receiving authorized accommodations by a faculty or staff member, department, or program should first address their concerns with the faculty or staff member charged with providing the accommodation.

DAS is available to offer assistance by discussing and exploring options with the student and/or faculty or staff member, contacting the concerned party in an effort to clarify issues, facilitating a meeting with the concerned parties, and/or advocating for the student’s right to receive appropriate and effective accommodations to the extent required under either the Rehabilitation Act or the ADA.

The Kentucky Department of Education State ADA Coordinator is available for consultation in regard to any questions or concern a student may have about one’s accommodations (1-877-423-2933 or www.ada.ky.gov).

A student who is not satisfied with the resolution on this level may choose to file a formal complaint.

Formal Grievance procedure

The student may submit a formal written grievance to the Berea College Section 504/ADA Compliance Coordinator, Joslyn Glover (859-985-3606, 006 Lincoln Hall, Joslyn_Glover@berea.edu). When making a formal complaint, a student should include specific information about the concern or problem (describe the issue(s), incident(s) and the action(s) taken; state the name of the individual(s) or office(s) involved; and show documented efforts to resolve the complaint). The Section 504/ADA Coordinator will meet with the student to discuss the complaint and will conduct any necessary investigation.

The Section 504/ADA Coordinator will issue a written decision including findings and remedial actions, if any, to be taken by Berea College and/or the student. This decision shall be issued to the student and any others deemed appropriate within fifteen (15) calendar days of the Section 504/ADA Coordinator’s receipt of the complaint. Files and records on all formal grievances shall be maintained by the Section 504/ADA Coordinator.

Appeal procedure

If a student is not satisfied with the formal grievance procedure, the student may appeal to the President for de novo review of the Section 504/ADA Coordinator’s decision.  The appeal must be made in writing within five (5) calendar days of the decision. The determination of the President on any such appeal is final. 

If the grievance is not resolved internally at the College, the student may choose to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education (100 Penn Square East, Suite 515, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Tel: (215) 656-8541; Fax: (215) 656-8605; OCR.Philadelphia@ed.gov. How to file a complaint of discrimination with OCR.

Approved by the Administrative Committee, February 2015.

Service Animals

Berea College is committed to assuring equal access to all persons, as required by law. It is the College’s policy to permit service animals on campus in all areas where persons are normally allowed to go with some exceptions. Service animals are, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Under Kentucky State Law, service animals include service dogs in training.

Berea College reserves the right to restrict service animals in certain locations due to health, environmental, or safety hazards. Access to restricted areas may be considered on a case-by-case basis by contacting Disabilities & Accessibility Services (DAS).

Service animals shall be appropriately attended, restrained, and controlled by the handler. Under certain circumstances, a service animal may be excluded. Please see Service Animals Procedures for more information.

A College employee may ask two questions to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal, if it is not obvious what service the animal provides: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the handler’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.  Service animals shall, however, be acclimatized and properly oriented to the campus environment to avoid health or safety issues. When staying in Student Housing, the handler must submit verification of the animal’s health and vaccination to appropriate staff in Student Housing. The handler is responsible for any damage the service animal may cause to property or other individuals.

For more information about service animals, please see Service Animals Procedures on the DAS website. This policy is overseen by Disability and Accessibility Services.